The current state of Project Cartographer is quite buggy to say the least,
It works you’re able to join games there’s no tunnels/vpns(Hamachi,Tungle,etc) or extra stuff besides our single DLL required.
How it works?
It replaces GFWL(Games for Windows Live) libraries and executes network code to simulate a LAN connection over the internet ( Yes this means we use the LAN browser ).
The limitations of this are,
- Custom Map downloading currently does not work.
- You can not view another player’s latency
- There’s no way to customize how you view servers, or to bookmark them or etc.
- Things are still quite buggy 😉 just remember it’s pre-alpha software at the moment.
Even with limitations there are pros to be had,
- Because we package things by injecting data into normal halo2 packets instead of making server requests during joins, this should eliminate Join Lag.
- You’re able to join games faster as well due to the above point.
- The game’s performance over all has been improved by the removal of this.
- The 30ms ping limitation does not exist.
- We will be re-implementing all of the removed functions (bookmarking servers, sorting, map downloading, and player latency viewing).
What can it currently do?
Currently the most you’ll get out of this is playing some quick matches with friends, but in the future there are plans to integrate tons of things.
- Re-integrate a new H2V friends list or a “XLiveless” friends list across all GFWL games.
- Add custom Game Types/Variants to H2V (Zombies with automated team switching and etc, Cat & Mouse where people are automatically spawned in the vehicle etc).
- Real matchmaking systems.
- TeamSpeak API to integrate VOIP since H2V is missing any voice chat capabilities.
- And more.
Let me start by first telling you what The Project Cartographer is,
The Project Cartographer is an attempt at reviving Halo 2 Vista which started with the multiplayer services going down for it and no one hearing any information about it’s return.
Now while this is the initial goal,
Due to the method being used to perform such a feat I’ve also began focusing on other GFWL(Games for Windows Live) games which have had their multiplayer servers also discontinued, but we’ll get more into that later.
For now looking at Project Cartographer you’ll see it is a replacement for XLive and all multiplayer services in Halo 2 Vista,
It is in a functional alpha state currently and was not planned for public release there are people currently testing and we’re always open to additional people granted you’re able to use TeamSpeak and communicate actively with us on issues as well as not expecting a bug free release as this is still a pre-alpha release.
As far as getting the actual files and helping us test please check out the Halo2Vista forums,